The ASCE Richmond Branch is excited to provide financial assistance to qualified and deserving students who are pursuing a degree in civil engineering at a college or university in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The scholarship is open to undergraduate or graduate students. Successful applicants will have a demonstrated desire to pursue a career in civil engineering.
This scholarship is provided by the Richmond Branch of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). Funding for this scholarship comes from the proceeds of our Annual Golf Tournament, as well as from sponsorships from Richmond area civil engineering consulting firms. This year we are pleased to be selecting two (2) applicants to receive scholarships. Each recipient will be awarded a scholarship in the amount of $1,000. Scholarships will be awarded prior to the Spring 2022 semester.
If you have any questions, please reach out to Jeffrey T. Huffman, P.E., F. ASCE at jhuffman@DAA.com.
ASCE Richmond Branch
All students who meet the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a civil engineering program at a college or university located in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Applicants must have declared or matriculated to a civil engineering degree.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicants can be undergraduates or graduate students. One scholarship is reserved for an undergraduate student.
- Previous scholarship recipients are eligible to receive additional scholarships.
Applicants must submit the following two documents to Jeffrey T. Huffman, P.E., F. ASCE at jhuffman@DAA.com by December 17, 2021 at 5pm to be considered for these scholarships:
- Completed ASCE Richmond Branch 2022-2022 Scholarship Application form provided in PDF format.
- Current academic transcript in PDF format. Unofficial copies are acceptable.
- Place your last name at the beginning of the file name for your completed application and your academic transcript.
Scholarship Evaluation Criteria
Evaluation criteria include the following five components:
ASCE Membership & Participation (0 to 10 Points):
ASCE officer = 10 points
ASCE member = 5 points
Not a member = 0 points
Academic Performance Cumulative GPA (0 to 10 Points):
4.00-3.50 = 10 points
3.49-3.00 = 8 points
2.99-2.50 = 6 points
Employment & Extracurricular Activities (0 to 15 Points)
Average rating of three (3) unique reviewers, rounded to nearest integer. Consider number and pertinence of employment/internships/co‐ops, extracurricular activities including but not limited to school programs, competition teams, club participation, etc.
Civil Engineering Career Interest (0 to 5 Points)
Average rating of three (3) unique reviewers, rounded to nearest integer. Has the applicant demonstrated an interest in pursuing a career in civil engineering? Have they clearly stated their anticipated career goals?
Essay Response (0 to 20 Points)
Average rating of three (3) unique reviewers, rounded to nearest integer. Content shall be weighted most heavily but total package including organization, grammar, punctuation, and overall presentation shall also be considered.
Total of 60 points possible.