Chesterfield County, Virginia (Richmond-Metro Area), a recognized leader and award-winning local government, is seeking an innovative, customer-focused, and a collaborative leader who will lead the operations of the Department of General Services. The Department of General Services employs 203 full-time employees, approximately 30 part-time employees and manages a budget of over $38.7 million to operate the various programs. The Director of General Services reports directly to the Deputy County Administrator for Community Operations.
The Director of General Services will oversee administration of programs and services, to include:
- operations of ten functional areas: Administration, Capital Projects and Programs, Buildings and Grounds, Energy Management, Security Management, Radio Communications, Fleet Services, Airport, and Waste and Resource Recovery
- align the department’s priorities, with the county’s strategic goals, including financial integrity, customer service, high-performing employees, environmental stewardship, and the safety of county residents and staff
- forecast and manage intermediate and long-range capital projects
- advise county leadership in the improvement/expansion of related services and infrastructure
- develop strategies to ensure current and future service delivery needs with a strong focus on customer service and sustainability initiatives that promote efficiency, cost reduction, energy conservation, and have a positive impact on the environment.
Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree in business, public administration or related field is required; master’s degree is preferred. Minimum of ten years of progressively responsible managerial and leadership experience, including five years of General Services related experience in a senior management capacity in a comparably sized or larger organization, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Public sector management preferred.
Ideal candidate will have excellent leadership and communication skills and proven experience in working in a multifaceted and diverse organization with responsibilities for multiple functional operations and support services.
Good driving record, pre-employment drug test and extensive background check required.
To review the recruitment profile and application instructions, visit the link Director of General Services or visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/chesterfieldco and review the Special Recruitment header.
The application deadline date is January 10, 2022 at 5 p.m. Interested applicants should submit a confidential resume with cover letter and must include salary requirements to:
Mary Martin Selby, Director of Human Resources
Chesterfield County Human Resources
P.O. Box 40
Chesterfield, VA 23832
Electronic responses are required and should be directed to
An Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Workforce Diversity